With fall colors and chilly evenings a warm kitchen with the lovely smell of pumpkin pie in the oven would be nice to come home to. Wouldn’t it?
This is not a pumpkin pie recipe. In my opinion it’s better! This is the quick and easy marriage of pumpkin pie and cheesecake, with a topping reminiscent of nutty shortbread. I made this for the first time in 1999 and it’s still a family favorite!
It’s great for taking along to Thanksgiving get-togethers, too!
PUMPKIN CHEESE CAKE BARS
1 lb cake mix (reserve ¾ cup)
2 tbsp butter
8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
14 oz can Eagle Brand condensed milk – NOT evaporated milk
16 oz can pumpkin (2 cups)
1/2 tsp salt
5 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 cup chopped nuts (pecans are excellent)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, on low speed, combine cake mix, 1 egg, butter and 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice until crumbly.
- Press this crust mixture onto the bottom of a 15 x 18 jelly roll pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cheese until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk, then the remaining 2 eggs, pumpkin, 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice and salt. Mix well.
- Pour over crust.
- Mix together reserved cake mix, nuts, and remaining 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice.
- Sprinkle nut mixture on top.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until set.
- Cool, chill, and then cut into bars.
- Store in refrigerator.
Makes 48 bars.