This Spinach Salad is one of my absolute favorites. This one dish all by itself is all I need for a fabulous meal!
My daughter Ahria recently asked me what she should make for dinner the next day. I was already in bed for the evening, but I remembered seeing a big package of spinach in the fridge. So I immediately told her I’d love a Spinach Salad for supper.
She made the salad, I made the dressing… and it was PERFECTO!
The dressing is my own idea of delicious. I’m not really big on the ‘normal’ spinach salad dressings, so I invented one I would like.
No… I invented one that I love!
It’s probably not particularly heart-healthy… but it’s a fabulous treat! This is certainly an ‘Impress the Guests’ dish.
1/2 kg fresh, washed and dried baby spinach
6 boiled eggs, sliced*
1 lb bacon (reserve bacon grease for dressing)
2 cups pecans
1 large red onion, diced
- Bake the bacon in a baking pan at 350 degrees until it is lightly crispy (about 40 minutes).
- Drain the bacon grease into a heat-proof bowl.
- Cut the bacon slices into bite-sized pieces.
- Slice the boiled eggs into circles.
- Put spinach into a large bowl. Add the bacon, pecans, eggs and onions.
- Toss with dressing just before serving or serve the dressing on the side.
*For a ‘no-fail’ recipe to boil eggs that are NOT gray in the middle and are perfectly done (see them in the photo?) click here.
Lemon Bacon Dressing
1/2 cup bacon grease (works best if it is still warm)
3/4 cup mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip!)
juice of half a lemon (freshly squeezed is best)
dash of salt
dash of freshly ground pepper
10 tsp xylitol (or sugar)
- Mix the xylitol into the warm bacon grease and lemon juice, stirring until it is entirely dissolved.
- Add remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth and homogenized.
Let us know how you like it!
A Carla Anne Feature Recipe