We call this dish a Breakfast “Lasagna” even though it has no pasta noodles at all – the recipe uses corn tortillas instead.
This is the perfect dish for a brunch!
It’s also great for busy mornings, because it has to sit in the fridge overnight. Just pop it in the oven and when the alarm goes off you’ll have a hearty breakfast ready to go.
I discovered this recipe this last Christmas at a brunch I attended. A lovely lady brought it and I knew it would be a family hit! We’ve enjoyed it several times, sometimes with variations and it’s always a favorite.
3 – 4oz cans mild green chilies chopped
6 corn tortillas, cut into 1” strips
*2 lbs hot Italian sausage, casing removed, cooked, drained (you can buy this bulk in many grocery store meat departments – already out of casing)
2 ½ cups grated Monterey Jack cheese (I sometimes just mix some old cheddar and some mozzarella)
½ cup milk
½ tsp salt
½ tsp garlic salt
½ tsp onion salt
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
Paprika to sprinkle
2 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
Salsa and sour cream for condiments
*To make this gluten free use 2 lbs fresh ground pork, 1 tsp cayenne pepper, 2 tbsp chill powder, 1/2 tsp pepper, and 1/2 tsp salt instead of the Italian sausage. Add the spices to the pork while browning it.
*To make it a beef dish instead of pork use 2 lbs ground beef and 2 packages of taco seasoning mix instead of the Italian sausage. Add the taco seasoning to the beef while browning it.
- The night before you plan to serve this, grease a 9×13” casserole.
- Layer ½ the chilies, ½ the corn tortillas, ½ the cooked sausage, and ½ the cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- In a medium bowl beat together milk, eggs, salt, garlic salt, onion salt, cumin and pepper.
- Pour bowl mixture over the casserole.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- The following day remove plastic wrap and place tomatoes over top of casserole.
- Preheat oven to 350F (I suggest putting the casserole in the oven while the oven is still cold if the dish is glass or stoneware so the dish does not crack going from the fridge to the hot oven).
- Bake 1 hour, or until set in center and slightly browned at edges.
- Let sit 5 minutes before serving.
There you go! This dish is great served with salsa and sour cream.