If you want an easy, delicious, comfort food for a fall supper or when you are having guests over for lunch, this is the dish for you!
In September my son turned 14. We were celebrating his birthday on a day other than his birthday but I wanted to do something a little special for him on the actual day. He loves baked potatoes so I thought I’d make that.
I thought I’d make broccoli cheese sauce to go over the potatoes because that’s one of his favorite toppings… but I didn’t have enough broccoli. Actually, all I had was a bag of frozen broccoli and cauliflower mix.
So I put my thinking cap on and concocted this wonderful casserole sauce. All the ingredients go into the casserole dish and everything is done at the same time… it’s amazing!!
I wrapped the potatoes and assembled the casserole in the morning. I set my oven delay timer to start baking at 3:30. By 4:15 we had a delicious supper on the table!
Here’s the recipe for you… I hope you’ll enjoy this comfort food as much as we did!
Baked Potatoes with Bacon Broccoli Cheese Casserole Sauce
12 medium sized baked potatoes
1 family sized bag of frozen broccoli florets or broccoli/cauliflower mix
1 lb bacon
2 cups sour cream
1 cup Cheese Whiz or Cheese Spread
1 cup plain Greek yogurt or 1 8oz. package cream cheese
2 cups shredded cheese (mozza or cheddar)
1 large onion, very finely diced
1 tbsp butter (or bacon drippings)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper (white pepper is preferable)
1 tsp garlic powder
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp paprika (optional)
- Spread bacon over baking sheet, slightly overlapping each piece, to cover the whole pan and get each piece of bacon on the sheet. See this post for more detailed bacon baking instructions.
- Bake the bacon in a 350° oven for 25-30 minutes.
- While the bacon is baking wash the potatoes and wrap them in foil.
- Place wrapped potatoes in 350° oven (they can go in with the bacon if it’s not done, and later with the casserole). Bake for 60 minutes. (I actually like to bake the potatoes with the bacon, and then again later. That way they are sure to be done and won’t be over done either!)
- While bacon and potatoes are baking, melt the butter in a frying pan, and then sauté the finely diced onions until they are clear. Be very careful not to let the onions brown!
- In a large bowl, add the sautéed onions, sour cream, Cheese Whiz, cream cheese, shredded cheese, salt, papper and garlic powder. Mix well, until nearly smooth.
- When the bacon has finished cooking, drain the grease into a heat-proof dish and remove the bacon from the pan to cool.
- Once cooled, cut or crumble the bacon into small or bite-sized pieces.
- Add bacon and broccoli to the sour cream/cheese mixture. Mix well.
- Pour mixture into a 9x13x3 baking casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the casserole. Garnish with green onion.
- Sprinkle paprika over the top.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 45 minutes or until bubbly. Then remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- To serve, cut baked potatoes in halves. Spoon casserole sauce over each potato half.
This serves 6, generously. You’re going to love it!
A Carla Anne Feature Recipe